The way this works is that you post a review of the best film you saw last week. It doesn't have to be a new release, just any film you have seen over the last seven days that you feel is worth talking about. Here are some rules.
1. Check to see if your favourite film of last week has been posted already. If so, please reply to that comment instead of making a new thread.
2. Please post your favourite film of last week.
3. NO TV SHOWS!
4. ALWAYS use spoiler tags. Report any comments that spoil recent / little-known films without using the spoiler tag.
5. Comments that only contain the title of the film will be removed!
Here are a few great comments from last week's thread:
-
Man with a Movie Camera. 1929. What a thoroughly engrossing and completely unconventional film for the modern viewer. I knew nothing about this going in and that's all to the good. I can't imagine what this looked like 90 years ago, but today it is frenetic, expansive, and damned visionary. Soviet-Russian director Dziga Vertov created this masterpiece, with editing by his wife Elizaveta Svilova. It pioneered a slew of film techniques ranging from slow motion and fast motion to freeze frames, jump cuts. You name the technique, it's probably here. What really gets me though is the seemingly inexhaustible source of material that Vertov drew from. He sought, and essentially succeeds, to depict the sum total of human endeavor in a single film. Office work, athletics, travel, leisure, birth, death, nature; each gets its own section either all to itself or interspersed with pieces of the others. The section on pure athletics (track and field) is some of the most wonderfully rendered film I've seen, with slow motion used to freeze athletes long since dead at the peak of their prowess. The height of the film though is a single scene that involves a seemingly self-directed animated movie camera. The tripod moves as if directionless but, once a camera unboxes itself and sits atop the tripod, it seems to move with purpose, filming the audience watching the camera through a screen in a beautiful reflection of its purpose. This is only an hour and change in length, but so worth it. I watched the version including a score by Michael Nyman, which only enhanced the experience. The silent version may be just as good, but I recommend Nyman's score highly.
-
The Shining - I recognize that I'm about thirty years late to the party. I didn't start getting into movies until moving to Paris and I decided to take advantage of la Cinémathèque française which is a five minute walk from my house -- it's an active, popular film archive that is also a museum and has expositions and events... the French take their film (and culture in general) very seriously and that have great things going on there. If any of you cinephiles are visiting Paris, make sure to check that out. In addition to only recently starting to watch films, I am also not at all a fan of scary movies and in fact this is the first "horror" film that I watched from beginning to end. But the acting and the cinematography in the film is incredible: Jack Nicholson is absolutely insane and the little boy is absolutely terrifying and Shelley Duvall was great as well + the shots are kind of ghostly in that the spectator feels like she or he is hovering, kinda like a ghost... that was pretty cool. And the music was intense too. I don't know if I'll watch it again (still a bit of a wimp) but definitely appreciated it.
-
I highly, highly, fucking highly recommend Under the Shadow, especially to those that enjoyed The Babadook. It's somewhat similar in premise as a mother and a daughter fend for themselves against supernatural forces, but not in themes. Where The Babadook had a grieving mother attempting to care for her problematic son as something haunts them both and deeply rekts her psychologically, the Iranian Under the Shadow takes on political and societal themes, as it is in set in Tehran during the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s. The maternal and feminine aspects crosses over terrifically with Islamic conservatism, politics, patriarchy in Islam, and folktales of specters that 'ride' the wind, arriving in the form of a missile that crashes into the lead characters' apartment but doesn't explode. It's a brilliant film, with plenty of scares that satiate even the "It's not horror if it doesn't have spo0oky scares!" crowd.
For further expansion of the rules, please read this link.
Have fun and play nice!
Submitted November 14, 2016 at 01:30AM by GetFreeCash http://ift.tt/2g3QrBt
Không có nhận xét nào: