'OJ: Made in America' was, without a doubt, one of the most essential documentaries about America that I've ever seen
The moral, ethical and racial questions it raised were absolutely incredible. The sheer amount of detailled coverage of OJ's life and the black community that ran parallel to it, the amount of interesting and relevant people they got to interview, the historical context. I mean this documentary covered it all, it was incredible.
I never knew how complex of a life OJ lead, how he distanced himself from the black community to basically lead a white life and then with the snap of a finger became a civil rights symbol during his trial. The double standards of racism shine through so much. That the white population cried with the guilty verdict and the black population laughed in their faces for their perceived retribution for Rodney King. You always hear that 'Race' is at the centre of american society and Ezra Edelman really does a superb job illustrating exactly that given OJ's life.
After seven and a half hours I still don't know how to feel about OJ, although the documentary basically makes him out for the killer that he most likely is I couldn't help but feel for him because in the spotlight that he stood under for so long you can feel the impact of fame on a very personal level.
I thought it was one of the most well researched and presented documentaries I have ever seen and it is such a fundamentally american story that I seriously believe that this is essential viewing for everyone who's interested in black history.
I'm writing this immediately after I finished watching it so I might seem to be rambling, but this documentary is an undeniable masterpiece.
Submitted January 04, 2017 at 10:09PM by maxwdn http://ift.tt/2iDxy5P
Không có nhận xét nào: