Slide show

[TV][slideshow]

"The NeverEnding Story" (1984), an epic and magical film which is as emotionally draining as it is visually exciting. Particularly nostalgic for those who grew up watching it.

The NeverEnding Story was the film which introduced my childhood self to how powerful film could be. I might have been seven or eight and I can recall watching it at school and I remember feeling as if I was swooped into the most amazing adventure ever. I marveled at the images, the music, the characters, I thought Atreyu was a charismatic lead (though I'm embarrassed to admit I thought he was a girl) and I related to Bastian's plight when it came to being bullied. It was the best film ever, as if someone grabbed everything a child would want to see in a film. Many say the films we enjoyed as children don't hold up as we grow up yet with The NeverEnding Story, I continue to get a kick from it and moved by some of the scenes like Artax's tragic destiny or how Noah Hathaway provides such a puppy-like vulnerability into his character, you want the boy to survive and achieve his goals.

As for Gmork, the film's main foe, he is just as terrifying. Today I don't know if a studio would get away with having a villain as frightening as Gmork, especially in a children's film.

I know many who don't like the film, many of those who read the book first and compare it with the film. The writer, Michael Ende, didn't and I was surprised to know The NeverEnding Story was a flop on its original release though it has managed to build a significant following, enough to warrant two sequels which I prefer to believe don't exist because of how bad they turned out to be, especially the last one.

Falkor was the coolest luck dragon. The last scene is what every bullied kid wished. Say what you will about one's habits of film viewing, nothing ever beats being a child watching a fantasy film because you truly believe in it. You're not wondering about the sets or judging the acting, you just embrace the narrative as if it was real.



Submitted July 25, 2017 at 07:38PM by Pedro645 http://ift.tt/2vFkTp6

Không có nhận xét nào:

vehicles

business

health