Slide show

[TV][slideshow]

Since 'Every Frame A Paintings' success (and others) I feel there's been a ridiculous amount of film analysis' videos by people who aren't qualified to make them.

Now I'm not saying I don't watch and enjoy film analysis videos like 'Every Frame A Painting' and 'Lessons from the Screenplay' but I've noticed a huge surge of newer channels/videos popping up on YouTube and this sub by creators who don't seem 'qualified' to make them.

When I say 'qualified', it's not like I'm saying you need a masters degree in film studies or years of film criticism under your belt, but I mean a deeper understanding of film analysis. I don't want to name names, but a video I just watched broke the camels back. It was basically saying, 'I really like this film-maker, look at how he composes this scene, isn't it nice? And aren't his main characters varied but relatable'. I want and expect a bit more out of these videos, definitely more than just pointing out the obvious and kissing a directors arse.

I'm not even asking for a huge deep well of film knowledge, but these film critics seem to only talk about films released after 2000 by big name directors. I'm not asking them to do videos on Lone Scherfig or Bill Forsyth but if I see another video studying Fincher or Wright or Nolan I think I'm going to throw my computer out of my window (or you know, stop watching).

It just feels to me a lot of these creators are jumping on the bandwagon and not putting in the work. They've seen the format laid out for them by other creators and just copied it. They haven't spent years watching, reading and digesting a variety of different films (and if they have, it doesn't always show) and film books and they certainly haven't taken an ample enough time to construct a valid opinion. I get the impression, and I am just speculating here, that these people are impatient and instead of going into criticism, they've gone into analysis because it's 'sexier'. You come across like an expert rather than a critic, which really, sounds better.

The thing is, I enjoy these types of videos, I like learning about films I haven't seen, new interpretations of films I have and get excited when a new one is released. I also have high standards of what I want out of someone who is trying to 'teach' me something. I'm not the most knowledgeable film fan by any means, but I know when I'm being fed a half baked argument or point of view. Maybe these creators are more focused on hits rather than putting in the leg work to do a really insightful video? Or maybe I'm wrong.

What do you guys think? Rant over.



Submitted August 25, 2017 at 02:08AM by lukeyspesh http://ift.tt/2iuPYJK

Không có nhận xét nào:

vehicles

business

health