As an avid film fan I really like to watch well made, articulate, logical analyses on YouTube. Unfortunately, most of them are horse shit. I've compiled a list of the ones that, in my opinion, aren't horse shit.
The "video essay" is a product that has been over saturated over the past few years. Everyone with a free trial of premiere and a MP4 of of Fight Club thinks that they can make a contrived 10 minute rant on why they like a movie better than you. A lot of people don't realize that the video essay is an essay and not a medium to boast your knowledge of Tarantino trivia. So I took the liberty in providing a list of different film essay/analysis channels that don't suck ass.
Tier 1: This Will Take an Afternoon
These are the channels that go super in depth, and cover not only the film, but other things such as origins, cultural impact, and behind the scenes information. These are typically longer, and will reign in around the 20-30 minute range.
Lindsay Ellis: The queen of video essays, Lindsay's videos often tackle films from an emotional standpoint, and the incredible amount of research she does into her films make them pseudo documentaries in their own right. She has a consistent upload schedule, and her videos are very in depth, and tend to lean more on structure and cultural impact. For those looking to get into her, I recommend her reviews of the Hunchback of Notre Dame, and her analysis of movie monsters done for the Shape of Water.
Channel Criswell: One of my personal favorites, Channel Chriswell is a channel dedicated to the filmmaking process, and his "What I Learned" series tackles different movies from their origins, to their production process, and to innovations the film made. He has a great amount of footage to accompany his videos, and this series is fantastic for those looking to get into filmmaking. I recommend any of his "What I Learned" videos or his 2 part analysis on Taxi Driver for those looking for a start.
Ryan Hollinger: Ryan's channel is similar to Lindsay's in the sense that his video coverage is varied between classic films, cultural study, and revisiting of childhood films, but the videos feel all his own. His style is fresh, and the research done is very impressive. He tends to lean more on technique than impact, and has a diverse portfolio of videos. I recommend his video on Courage the Cowardly Dog and Cannibal Holocaust for newcomers.
Red Letter Media: Everyone's favorite hack frauds, Red Letter Media are the dementia ridden granddads of video essays. Their Plinkett Reviews are beautifully cynical works crafted from the bottomless pit that is Mike Stoklassa's heart. Come for the videos, stay for the Shaq Meat.
Movies I Love: And So Can You: A great channel for all things encompassing film, this channel delves into specific movies and highlights their themes, writing process, and director insight. A catch all to these channels, I recommend watching his video on In Bruges for a start.
Tier 2: The Study Break
These are the channels that tend to focus on one specific subject, and stick to it. These videos tend to be in the 5-10 minute range, and explore specific themes, ideas, or techniques used in films or TV.
Screen Prism: This channel is more of a conglomerate than an actual one man channel, but the Screen Prism team delves into themes, techniques, or specific shows/movies and highlights the methods that make them so compelling. They tend to be all over the place as far as coverage, covering both TV and film. Their videos can vary in length (and quality) but their consistent and frequent uploads offer a wide variety of videos to choose from. I recommend their videos on Breaking Bad, Moonlight, and their "You Know It's ____ Series," that details director trademarks and examples.
Jack's Movie Reviews: This channel is more film leaning, and covers themes and ideas present in films. A great channel for studying story and structure, Jack's weekly upload schedule and broad scope of films will ensure that he has a little something for everybody. His channel is different in that it doesn't argue one specific idea, but provides evidence suggesting that it could be that way. This interpretations have their own room for interpretations, but the evidence supported proves that he isn't pulling it out of his ass. I recommend his videos on Goodfellas and No Country For Old Men for a quick introduction.
CineFix: CineFix answers the age old question: "What if WatchMojo used their brain?" Their top 10 lists are some of the best on Youtube, and they don't have a populist mindset that results in the same old films on every list. They have a unique blend of modern classics, vintage masterpieces, and films you haven't even heard of that can help transition that film fan to a film buff. Their videos are very articulate in their responses, and don't just sum up internet reviews. They feel very personal, and I highly recommend any of their top 10 lists (except the Westerns) for a foray into the most binge-able channel on Youtube.
Lessons From the Screenplay: Everyone's favorite source to site when they pretend to know about film, Lessons from the Screenplay is one of the most consistently fantastic channels on Youtube. Their structural and story analysis are a great tool for aspiring writers, or those just enamored by the craft. Their videos are precise, logical, and provide great examples from different resources. I recommend their videos on Get Out, The Social Network, or Whiplash/The Black Swan for first timers.
Every Frame a Painting: The king of video essays, and arguably the channel that brought them into the spotlight, the now finished Every Frame a Painting is what every video essay channel should strive to be. Concise, specific, detailed, these videos are amazingly paced and amazingly edited. There's not much to say that hasn't been said before, so if you want a dose, watch his famous video on Edgar Wright for a great introduction.
Tier 3: Snack Time Videos
These are the quick, 5-7 minute doses of film analysis that you can bite into like an Oreo. They are quick, to the point, and interesting. These are the ones you can watch on the toilet, or binge on a lazy Sunday.
Karsten Runquist: an up and comer to the world of essays, Karsten's videos are short and sweet, and very well made. Incorporating opinions with facts, his videos rarely stretch past the 6 minute mark, and don't waste a second on screen. I recommend his videos on Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Bad Animation for a start.
Nerdwriter: Put down your fucking pitchforks you god damn neckbeards and just chill. Nerdwriter has a bad reputation around here for stretching one sentence ideas into paragraphs, but I think that's only the case in a handful of his videos. Regardless of what you think, his videos are undoubtedly well edited and researched, and are a great gateway into the world of video essays. His videos cover a broad spectrum of entertainment, but for film fans I recommend his videos on In Bruges, or [(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keYYiuOJdrE)The Master for beginners.
Fandor: A smaller channel, Fandor is getting it's foot in the door with these micro analyses of films old and new. They are usually very to the point, and rarely exceed the 5 minute mark. I recommend his videos on Citizen Kane and Amelie for a start.
I'm not saying these are the only good channels, but these are the channels I find the most consistently on point and logical. I recommend any fans of the film essay give them a go if you haven't already.
Submitted May 04, 2018 at 12:25AM by ccbuddyrider https://ift.tt/2jpDYH6
Không có nhận xét nào: