Slide show

[TV][slideshow]

African American Actors playing Africans

I feel bare minimum if an African American actor is to play an African character they need to learn the character's accent. Not every African is from Nigeria. In Hotel Rwanda Don Cheadle uses a Nigerian accent. The most egregious offender is Black Panther. Now I know Wakanda doesn't exist but the people in the country use Xhosa as an official language, and with the country's proximity to South Africa you would think they would have those accents, but no they sound like Nigerians.

It would be one thing if the accents were good, but they are so distracting during the movie that it honestly just takes you out of the immersion. Woman King is the most recent offender, Viola Davis and John Boyega put on the worst accents I have ever heard, it's to the point that it is almost offensive. See Beast of No Nation, for example, Idris' accent is iffy at times but he takes on a full Ghanaian dialect. He doesn't just wing it and use a butchered Nigerian accent which I love.

My point at the end of the day is this, I'm not mad that African voices aren't playing African stories, I a mad that no effort is being made on the actors side, to actually learn the dialect.



Submitted April 08, 2023 at 03:33PM by Subject-Wrangler-640 https://ift.tt/dYlRjH4

Không có nhận xét nào:

vehicles

business

health