Slide show

[TV][slideshow]

Guillermo del Toro gives this passionate and articulate review/praise of Edgar Wright's Baby Driver

In 13 tweets , Guillermo del Toro gives this passionate and articulate review/praise of Edgar Wright's Baby Driver:

"A long, long time ago (my generation's youth) a maverick filmmaker named Walter Hill made two promises. One: he made a great action flick called THE DRIVER. Two: he promised us, in MEAN STREETS "A Rock N'Roll Fable". Both movies gave our generation a shot of adrenaline.

Now, decades later, Edgar Wright fulfills both promises with the breathtaking BABY DRIVER. The key to understanding it fully- at least for me- is in the fact that it is a fable, complete with its very own Disney prince and princess, but it is also rock n' roll. Meaning- the magic exists in a dirty, genre-tainted world. The film is incredibly precise. Flawlessly executed to its smallest detail: breathtaking Russian arm shots, real-world car mount and foot chases executed with the vigour and bravado of a Gene Kelly musical.This is An American In Paris on wheels and crack smoke.

Its a movie in love with cinema- the high of cinema and motion n love with color and light and lenses and film. But, unlike Edgar's previous films (all of which I love) this stakes new, unironic territory. This is earnest and unprotected . It wears Edgar's heart on its sleeve. It's a riff- a beautiful riff and in many ways send his career in a new direction. It shows us tricks and tunes he hadn't played before. The cast is in a state of grace and so is the entire crew. Imagine that as a carpenter you encounter a precious, precise, exquisite piece of cabinetry. This is how I feel.

I've always liked Edgar. But this moved me. It moved me to see a fellow filmmaker come out of a debacle with a movie that declares his credo again. I hope & pray you go and see it on a big screen. I wish you all the joy I felt: I just saw a good pal get the gold. By God- go check it out.".


This is the best thing I've read about the movie among all of the reviews/think pieces. Also helps that Guillermo and Edgar are good pals.

The movie opens tomorrow, and is currently at 99% on rottentomatoes with 76 reviews submitted so far (average score: 8.4)



Submitted June 28, 2017 at 05:01AM by IronEad http://ift.tt/2sOM81i

Không có nhận xét nào:

vehicles

business

health