Slide show

[TV][slideshow]

Amazon Prime mixed up 'The Wailing' 2008 and 'The Wailing' 2016 and it has led me down a bizarre rabbit hole

Amazon tricked me into renting a movie and I can't find any info on it.

I put The Wailing on my short list of horror flicks after it got 99% on RT. As a rule I go into movies blind so that's all I knew - a 2016 Korean horror flick with stellar reviews. Sold!

It just popped up in Prime's recommendations so I rented it. The 2008 release date seemed off but the reviews clearly mentioned a 2016 Korean horror film. Maybe 2016 was the US release date?

Nope! The movie I got was a 4:3 retro horror movie made to look like a crummy VHS transfer of an early 80s ghost story flick.

THIS is the correct 2016 film. Note that it shows the same reviews as the 2008 page so there's obviously a data mix-up happening.

So what the heck is this 2008 movie? I DON'T KNOW.

It's not on IMDB. I can't find any articles about it. The 'director' listed on Amazon is 'CreateSpace' which appears to be a now defunct self-publishing platform.

Now I'm fascinated. Anyone know who made this thing?


Edit: I've watched 40 minutes now and while it's not exactly good it's an impressively faithful nostalgia project. They've nailed the tone and the production values of the period without tipping into absurdity - the Italian-style dubbing is especially accurate. You could actually mistake it for the real thing if you stumbled across it in the wild, unlike (say) Kung-Fury. If I'd produced it I'd want some credit!


Edit 2: I am beginning to doubt my sanity. This has to be an Italian movie shot in the 80s, it's just too perfect to be an imitation. But what kind of official transfer would be so sloppy? It opens with 'SP' displayed in the screen corner and comically bad VHS tracking, which I naturally assumed was part of the aesthetic gag.



Submitted July 31, 2019 at 11:34AM by Railboy https://ift.tt/2LNWU2F

Không có nhận xét nào:

vehicles

business

health