Slide show

[TV][slideshow]

I rewatched Independence Day (1996) recently

I had to cleanse the filth of the sequel I finally got to see recently. So I rewatched the '96 original.

What a blast that movie was. I perfectly realize it's a testosterone-fuelled explosion-laden "MURICAH YEAH" movie but I don't give a shit really. It was a great popcorn flick back in '96 and there is something about it that just makes it stand out much more than the other Emmerich disaster movies that followed.

Godzilla and The Day After Tomorrow were enjoyable, but mediocre. 2012 I didn't like at all. But ID4 was just... I dunno like the father of all modern disaster movies even though I realize it's actually kind of a mindless movie with not much depth and a lot of cheesy shit. And that's what makes it so charming. The movie does it's best to make us profoundly hate the aliens. The whole scene with the laughing skull in the Mother Ship, the hilarious interaction between Jeff and Will during the escape and the nuclear bomb exploding in the alien's face is in my top 5 most satisfying scenes I ever saw.

I guess it's also a lot of nostalgia talking. I went to see this movie when I was a 14 year old boy with friends in the cinema's so yeah, it's probably nostalgia. I remember the audience clapped and cheered when Russell rammed his plane in the spacecraft's laser sacrificing himself and taking the whole ship with him. Good times.

I can't be the only one that has this weird feeling with this movie: on one hand, you know it's actually a quite simple, cheesy as fuck movie that doesn't have much depth, but on the other hand you can't help but consider it a classic. And for it's time, the special effects were revolutionary. They aged really well, just like Jurassic Park's special effects.



Submitted January 18, 2021 at 06:50PM by Snowbattt https://ift.tt/2KvPi5O

Không có nhận xét nào:

vehicles

business

health