Slide show

[TV][slideshow]

"Batman: The Silent Motion Picture" - I've edited Tim Burton's "Batman" (1989) into one of the silent films that inspired it!

Watch "BATMAN - THE SILENT MOTION PICTURE"


All rights to the film "Batman" belong to Warner Brothers. This film is a fan edit, not made for profit. I claim no right to the material presented above.
I attempted to upload the project to Youtube, but as the silent auteurs F. W. Murnau and Fitz Lang would have intended - the Prince songs are still included. Prince's estate is notorious for not allowing his music online, so the edit can not be put on Youtube.


I remember catching the end of Metropolis (1927) when I was a teenager and being stunned. Not only because of the scope of the film, but also because while I was watching it, I said, "Oh my God, this is Batman." I was (still am) a huge Batman and Burton fan and as a result, I took a deep dive into silent cinema.
Roger Ebert recommended everyone watch their favorite color film in black & white to see if it was still effective. For years I've thought it would be an amazing exercise to edit Burton's Batman into a silent film and see if it still worked as well. Seeing it now, I'd argue that "Batman" is even stronger as a silent picture.
- The Danny Elfman score is astounding on its own.
- The lack of dialogue highlights how good Nicholson and Keaton's performances are, how intense their facial acting is since both men are under masks or makeup.
- Tim Burton's art style is right out home as a German expressionist silent classic, it looks like it was always made to be seen this way.


If you watch just one part of this film, jump ahead to the last 30 minutes and experience something astounding through that climax - a 1920's silent film disguised as an 80's Blockbuster. It really was a gift that Burton ever got to direct "Batman." Even with all the insane notes from producer Jon Peters and the studio system weighing down on him, he made a superhero film that works without anyone speaking. Think of every superhero film since then and now imagine if it'd work without dialogue - with just a score and some title cards.
This was an amazing exercise for me that taught me so much about lighting and scene spacing. I hope you enjoy it! I'm the guy who shared the /r/MuppetsGreatGatsby script last month so I've really been trying to keep myself busy with personal projects as we hopefully near the end of this pandemic.
EDIT:
Here are some still I love from the project:
- Batman at Axis Chemicals
- The Joker plots
- Batman in the cathedral
- Joker with reel change cue mark
- The Bat Signal
- Birth of the Joker
- Descent into Mystery
- "I heard the BAT got him"



Submitted February 28, 2021 at 03:48AM by ScreamingVegetable https://ift.tt/3uCbxsX

Không có nhận xét nào:

vehicles

business

health