Slide show

[TV][slideshow]

What did you think of Event Horizon (1997)

This is a film I'd not bothered about for years, as I knew it had got pretty negative reviews upon release and a couple of my friends had said it was just a rip off of Alien with some 90's cheese and VFX thrown in. Then, over the past few years, I'd started to see some more glowing reviews of the movie and even watched the Critical Drinker highly recommend it on YouTube so I was intrigued to actually see where I stood on Event Horizon.

Overall thoughts: It was definitely worth checking out. The set design and atmosphere is absolute top notch and the premise of, pretty much - A haunted spaceship had me hooked from the get go. I do feel, however, that the genius of that premise is lost in execution. I've read up about how more than half an hour of Event Horizon ended up on the cutting room floor, before release and it really shows when you watch the 96mins final product. To me, it seems there was no second act. The first hour or so is all effective build up but then things quickly turn into sheer mayhem, as the crew gets offed, one by one, in extremely grisly ways. There seems to be a section missing.

Sam Neil's character was definitely the most interesting, out of the bunch and I wish we got a bit more of his mind process during the mid section. It's not often I wish for a movie to be longer but even another 10/15 minutes of story would've greatly benefited Event Horizon, imo. The terror on board the vessel is just getting started, when Weir turns full evil and reveals exactly what is going on. Then we cut to the climax and everything is wrapped up with a neat bow far too quickly. I would certainly recommend the movie though, and was just wondering what your thoughts were on the film?

Edit - It also gets bonus points for having "Funky shit" over the end credits!



Submitted October 25, 2021 at 02:48PM by Deja-Review https://ift.tt/3GgGs3H

Không có nhận xét nào:

vehicles

business

health