Slide show

[TV][slideshow]

Reevaluating a movie I’ve loved since it came out. Office Space.

Okay. Since I worked at Blockbuster when this film came out, I instantly loved it. I came from the generation that grew up with Beavis and Butthead. But this was smarter, and right on the money, comedically, even if I was a lowly retail worker at the time. And strangely my life’s timeline has worked out the opposite of Peter Gibbons. I moved to construction and worked there for a long time before moving into software. The last five years I’ve been in this industry and just in the last six months I actually moved into a corporate job, be it remote, but still.

Now I really get the corporate jokes to a painfully ridiculous level. I actually like my bosses, they’re really pleasant and decent, funny even. They aren’t Bill Lumbergh. That said, I see the ridiculous level of bureaucracy and just overwrought silliness that comes with these types of jobs. I have several bosses. They have no technical knowledge. I can do minimal amounts of work, with maximum praise. If I want to discuss anything that could be solved with a simple back and forth in Teams chat, it turns into a full on meeting. I have to create reports that go into so much minuscule detail with time and effort it’s debilitating.

Don’t get me wrong. Working a corporate job actually makes me feel like an adult, finally. And I love working on projects with meaning. I just found it extremely funny how much things haven’t changed in the form of having to do endless paperwork, talking to several bosses who don’t know a whole lot, and that a lot of the corporate structure is still exactly the same as it was 20 something years ago, despite the advances in technology. And no, despite the message of the film I have no desire to simplify back to backbreaking labor that still hurts to this day and pays absolute shit.

Anyone else have these experiences?

Oh. And Mike Judge is an absolute genius. The fact he directed this as his first live action film, with the writing, camera direction to convey things etc. is proof he is amazingly talented. And the soundtrack? Gah!



Submitted March 21, 2022 at 06:27AM by syracTheEnforcer https://ift.tt/O3B8vpl

Không có nhận xét nào:

vehicles

business

health