Slide show

[TV][slideshow]

I just spent the last 8 hours in a Cinemark, watching 3 Oscar nominated movies back-to-back, and I would very much like to vent

So, a few days ago, I made the premeditated decision to spend my entire Saturday watching movies exclusively from this year’s Academy Award nomination pool. Thankfully enough, I was able to elaborately craft a schedule of showtimes that would allow me to see 3 Oscar movies at the most.

Namely, I saw:

  • Lady Bird
  • The Shape of Water
  • Call Me by Your Name

Now watch as I carelessly attempt to orchestrate my thoughts and feelings into a few easily digestible and concentrated form of words and ideas...

  1. Timothée F U C K I N G Chalamet and Michael F U C K I N G Stuhlbarg - Never before have I had the pleasure of watching as an actor of such talent and caliber alternate themselves from one character to another by the flip of a movie. This is a statement that can be made regarding both Timothée Chalamet’s and Michael Stuhlbarg’s cinematic efforts this year. When one emulates the douchey, snobbish persona of a pretentious high schooler (and switches to a highly educated, promiscuous, lovelorn Jewish-American-Italian), the other plays a cunning yet affectionate scientist that aids a mute woman in helping her fish-man boyfriend (?) (and switches to an equally affectionate father and professor that watches as his son encounters his first instance of tragic heartbreak). Although the Best Actor Oscar is basically Gary Oldman’s to win, I am more than confident that we will be seeing more high caliber work (and even more Oscar nominations) from Chalamet in the coming years. As for Stuhlbarg’s snub, I would have loved to see some recognition for both him and Armie Hammer.

  2. Three Billboards may be taking some deserving awards away from The Shape of Water - If not for Frances McDormand’s commanding performance, and Martin McDonagh’s tightly wound script, Sally Hawkins would be carrying home the Best Actress, and Del Toro the Best Screenplay (though he may be rectified through his definite Best Director win). That is not to say that McDormand and McDonagh are undeserving, it’s just that in any other year they would be showering in gold (or plastic gold, as I have no personal knowledge of the material of which the Oscar’s are made). The amount of pure affection and sorrow that Hawkins emits just from her eyes alone is enough, but she embeds her character with a sort of physicality that pushes her above and beyond.

  3. Lady Bird has been scientifically proven to make you want to call your parents - I swear by the good Lord that I called my dad immediately after exiting the movie. With all the personal family drama I’ve encountered over these past months, that movie was some kind of passionate sermon directed at me: that no matter whatever amount of hardship you may be trudging through, the worst thing you could possibly do is leave it unresolved, and allow the drama to take hold over what could be an incredible relationship.

As for any closing statements, I will say that I hope that Call Me by Your Name receives loads of appreciation come Oscar night, because this feels like one of those movies where the stars align to bring us the quintessential movie of a certain genre, with this one being a triumph to be kept within the upper echelons of Romance for many years to come.



Submitted January 28, 2018 at 10:06AM by the_dancing_nun http://ift.tt/2njuTRP

Không có nhận xét nào:

vehicles

business

health