Slide show

[TV][slideshow]

2017 has the potential to be the best year for Sci-Fi movies ever

I am a huge science fiction fan and I can help but get excited at the sci-fi lineup for 2017. I really think it has the potential to be the best year for sci-fi movies ever. Lets discuss our anticipation of the upcoming sci-fi movies. Here are some of my thoughts on a few:

Alien: Covenant

While I know Prometheus disappointed a lot of people the trailer looks great. A lot of the trailer invokes the first movie a lot. For instance, it shows the horror of a alien bursting from a human’s chest in a confined space, which is oddly satisfying to watch. Lets hope there is a lot of tense moments like that.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

I know nothing about this movie or the source material, but the trailer was great. The bright blue visuals throughout the movie reminded me of Avatar. This looks like what I imagine a Mass Effect live action movie would look like. It looks like the movie will be populated with tons of alien races and humans will be the minority, which should be refreshing.

Star Wars Episode 8

Well there isn’t much to say here, its Star Wars we will all watch it. I would look to post a fan theory though of how I hope the movie somewhat breaks the mold of Episode 5. I want Rey to fall to the dark side! Please let this happen. Rey ends her training with Luke early to save Finn. Kylo has regrets about his actions in Episode 7 and struggles with accepting himself and the dark side. Rey will do whatever it takes to save her friend. Kylo and Rey battle each other in climax of the movie. Kylo wins and shows mercy because he doesn’t want to kill another family member. Finn is dying and Snoke convinces Rey he can teach her how to save someone she loves. Big reveal at the end is Snoke = Emperor. Okay, that will never happen but a guy can dream.

War of the Planet of the Apes

These are actually surprisingly good movies. I still need to watch the second one, so I wont say anymore about this one. The action looks great though.

Ghost in the Shell

There was a big controversy about whether or not white actors should play anime characters. That aside I loved the original movie as a kid. It was dark and gritty, with great action. I never watched the series but I think there is a lot of potential for a great movie. The visuals in the trailer are stunning, although Im not wild about the song choice for the American trailer. I think at worst this will be a decent action movie, but has the potential to start a new franchise.

Power Rangers

The main writer of the movie Chronicle says this movie looks like a direct rip-off of his movie. I think that's the highest praise this movie could get. Chronicle, a movie that also took a lot of inspiration from Akira, was fantastic. I think a darker take on power rangers is interesting and could still be fun. I don’t think anyone is expecting an award winning movie, but I predict a 74 on Rotten Tomatoes. There will be plenty of Kung Fu and giant robots to make 20 somethings that grew up on the show happy.

The Dark Tower

This is actually my most anticipated movie of 2017. I am a huge fan of the book series by Stephen King and have read the books multiple times. Most people have probably not read the source material. If you haven’t read the books expect a mixture of science fiction, westerns, and horror. The first book follows the gunslinger in an alternate reality where the world is ending and he is the last gunslinger that can save the world. In the future books, the gunslinger must travel to different times and realities to recruit other characters to help him reach the Dark Tower, which is all that is keeping the world together. I am a huge fan of Idris Elba, but I won’t be lying that he was not how I envisioned the main character Roland. In the books, the character is supposed to be clint eastwood type. However, without spoiling the books, these movies will not be following the exact plot of the movies. There is a legit book reason for why people and events could and will be different from the movies. I don’t expect this movie to get good reviews, or to even get a sequel, because the source material is so strange and bizarre. But hey, im sure a lot of people said that about Game of Thrones. Lets hope this movie starts a franchise of movies and tv series.

The Circle

This looks like a great thriller and a good social commentary of how social media is invading our lives. There is a great cast with Tom Hanks and Emma Watson. I might not pay to see this in theaters but Ill watch it as soon as hits the stores.

Blade Runner 2049

This movie has the potential to be the best movie on this list just for the director alone. Denis Villeneuve is a fantastic director and the next David Lynch in my opinion (I just got done watching the great “mind-fuck” movie Enemy). By now I feel like most sci-fi fans have seen this movie. The themes of the first movie have almost become a genre cliché: what does it mean to be human vs a robot, etc. (Westworld is such a fantastic show). This source material and the director means the movie is guaranteed to be fantastic. We do not know much about the plot at this point, but there is sure to be plenty of human cops searching for robot criminals. Maybe this movie will settle the debate of whether or not Harrison Ford is a replicant, his acting has been plenty robotic as of late.

edit

I somehow forgot about....

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2

For many this will their most anticpated sci-fi movie of the year. I loved the first movie, and think that it is perhaps the best Marvel movie to date. However, I am starting to grow weary of the Marvel formula. Further, Im starting to grow tired of all the characters using puns and quips. Not everyone has to be robert downey jr. So that said the teaser trailer disappointed me, the joke about the bomb didn't really land for me. The humor in the first movie was great so I think my marvel fatigue shouldn't really be a concern. The great thing about Guardians is that the story has the potential to go in any direction and really has nothing to do with the Avengers. I hope the movie takes some risks and tries something new because the first movie gave the franchise a lot of potential with unique characters, vintage soundtrack and some unexpected feels from Peter Quill. I hope for a lot more of that.



Submitted December 30, 2016 at 10:01PM by thomastehbest http://ift.tt/2ipw1CI

Không có nhận xét nào:

vehicles

business

health